Friday, November 17, 2006

Week 11 Forum

Today we had guest speaker Luke Harrold. It was nice to have a guest speaker for a change. I was lucky to have Luke as my theory lecturer in Certificate IV. I had no idea at the time he was doing a PHD in Music Technology.

He spoke to us about his research overseas. He was in Paris attending this major event called NIME, which stands for “new interfaces for musical expression”. I am going to Paris in December so I might check this out. That’s if my family don’t get too bored.

The best part of Luke’s presentation was a movie he showed us of a live Japanese performer Adachi Tomomi. He had all these senses attached to different parts of his body in such a way that movement would set them off. He was creating music using his body movements. Well I don’t know if you can call it music. The actual sound got annoying after a while. The idea though was really interesting and I can definitely see this concept being used in many avenues of entertainment in the future. [1]

[2] Finger movements


[3] Good to see him using a real computer.


[1] Luke Harrold. 'Music Technology Forum Presentation - EMU Space'. Lecture presented in the EMU Space, Electronic Music Unit, University of Adelaide, 19th October 2006.

[2] Dream Train Internet. “Adachi Tomomi?”, http://www.purple.dti.ne.jp/naya/contens/img/adachi3-2web.jpg (Accessed 11th November 2006)

[3] Dream Train Internet. “Adachi Tomomi?”, http://www.h5.dion.ne.jp/~olounge/ido062/062photo/adachi.jpg
(Accessed 11th November 2006)

No comments: