Saturday, November 11, 2006

Week 8 Forum - Improvisation Group 2


Today we had our second group do their improvisation session. Our guest today was Dr. Chandrakant Sardeshmukh (we should call him Dr. Sard for short). I though this improvisation session was really amazing. I loved the music and by the end of the session I was lying on the floor in a semi-sleep state. That wasn't because I found the music boring. In fact, it was quite the opposite. I found the music really relaxing and I could have easily fallen asleep. I think I did for a short time.

When the music ended I wanted it to go for longer and I wish someone recorded this improvisation session. One thing that the doc showed us which I though was really interesting was his scales. In India the major scale is in fact what we would call the Lydian mode. So the forth is raised. I thought that it was interesting to see how different cultures have different scales. I didn't learn modes till this year so prior to that I assumed that the major scale as we know it is prominent in all music. How wrong I was.

You could tell that Dr. Chandrakant Sardeshmukh was enjoying himself and it was great to see how passionate he was about his music. I really enjoyed this improvisation session. I just wish we had something comfortable to sit on, on the floor!




[1] Dr. Chandrakant Sardeshmukh. 'Music Technology Forum Improvisation Session - EMU Space'. Lecture presented in the EMU Space, Electronic Music Unit, University of Adelaide, 14th September 2006.

[2] Darshanam. " Dr. Chandrakant Sardeshmukh", http://www.darshanam.com/images/prof2.jpg (Accessed 11th November 2006)

No comments: