Thursday, March 29, 2007

AA2 Week 5 - Wind Instruments

This week our task was to record a wind instrument. I decided to record a flute. Not because we went through it in class, but because I had easy access to a flautist which was my sister.

When I was setting up the microphones, I had to continually adjust the positions since my flautist kept moving around. This was expected, but since I wasn't recording someone I hardly knew I was able to say "KEEP STILL!"

I used two Neumann U87 microphones, set to cardioid, to compensate for the movement. One was on top of the other with the top one upside-down. I have a picture below. I was going to suggest this set up in class, but there really isn't time in our lecture. I found that, because they were aligned, there weren't any phasing issues. I don't think there are but if you hear differently let me know!

I also placed a Neumann KM 84i in a similar position that Ben had suggested in our class. I found that in this position you minimised the sound of the keys and allowed for the body of the flute sound to be recorded well. I could still hear breathing but I don't think that can ever be entirely avoided.

Finally there was a room microphone, which again was another Neumann U87. As you've probably guessed I loved these microphones (as well as the Rodes NTV). I would have tried the Rhodes microphone but I was pressed for time. Also, it’s so annoying to set up. Still, its great sound makes up for that.

During our Audio Arts class this week, I asked David if you would ever compress a flute recording to tape. David said no, but I wanted to try it anyway to see how it sounds. I recorded the same song with compression and without compression. I think the uncompressed version sounds a lot better. So he was right. The problem with the flute is that some notes do jump out more than others and I felt compression would help to fix that problem. Instead the dynamics of the recording deteriorated. Therefore I don’t really know what you can do to fix the problem other than to record a flautist that can control their breaths. [1]

I have some pictures, screen-shots and samples below for you to look at.


Screenshots



No Compression






With Compression


Flute Playing






Mixer Window


Recordings

Preparation before I hit record [660KB]

Flute with compression [3.1MB]

Flute with no compresssion [2.6MB]

The Goat Song [5MB]


These are a couple of annoying error messages I encountered while recording. Pro Tools was having some anxiety attacks that day!




[1] David Grice. 'Audio Arts Lecture - EMU Space'. Lecture presented in the EMU Space, Electronic Music Unit, University of Adelaide, 27th March 2007.

No comments: