Thursday, May 17, 2007

AA2 Week 10 - Avalon

Our task this week was to record an instrument through the new Avalon preamp. I recorded myself playing piano and although I did notice a difference between the sounds, I don't think it was as evident as it was in class.

When we compared the guitar sound through the Avalon in class, I noticed a massive different in warmth and overall quality. When I listened to my piano recording I thought the recording through the Avalon did sound warmer but not $3000 warmer. There definitely wasn't the wow factor I experienced in class. The recording through the Control 24 is brighter but still sounds fine to me. Unfortunately there is a little clipping in some areas. I only noticed this the next day and didn't feel like redoing the whole recording session.
[1]
I had the microphones set up in the midside technique originally but changed to A-B. This was because I couldn't get the microphones to sit right in the mid-side and it was frustracting constantly having to alter the positions (the stands were a bit dodgy). When I was in A-B configuration, I found I had to make the gain of one side larger than the other. This must mean that the lower down the piano you go the less resonate frequencies you find in the recording process.[2]


AUDIO
Avalon Recording [1.1MB]
Control 24 Recording [720KB]


[1] 'Front End Audio'. Avalon Design. http://www.frontendaudio.com/Avalon_AD2022_Preamp_p/10212.htm (Accessed 17/5/7)

[2] David Grice "Audio Arts: Semester 1, Week 10; Avalon Preamp" Lecture presented at the Electronic Music Unit, University of Adelaide, 15th May 2007.

No comments: