Friday, May 04, 2007

AA2 Week 8 - Mixing Part 1

This week we had to mix a ProTool session of a recording of a new talent. The singer in this recording has a remarkable voice and definantly has loads of talent. However, trying to create a decent mix with a bad recording to begin with was close to impossible. I would love to hear how this girl sounds when recorded professionally.

I attempted to hide the background guitar in the vocals using EQ but I found it took too much of the voice out. I have two recordings. On the first one I have taken out the electric guitar (I thought there were too man guitars) and I haven't used compression. In the second recording I have used compression and added the electric guitar. I used the guitar effect but used a bass preset so the guitar didn't take up too much of the vocals. Overall the mixes still don't sound all that great but I did what I could with what I had.






Mix 1 [835kB]

Mix 2 [785kB]

DNB Mix [268kB]

[1] David Grice "Audio Arts: Semester 1, Week 8; Mixing" Lecture presented at the Electronic Music Unit, University of Adelaide, 1st May 2007.

No comments: