Friday, May 30, 2008

Week 11 Forum - Philosophy of Technology

Scenario 1
I woke up for another typical university day. I walked to the bus stop, waited there for the bus and hopped on. I had the usual day of lectures and crappy food from downstairs. On my way home I decided to stop off at the newsagency and buy a lottery ticket. You wouldn't believe what happened. . . . I WON $22 MILLION ! ! !

The next day I quit work, uni and went shopping. I bought a few houses and few cars. These weren't just any cars. Ferrari, Lamboghini, Porsche and BMW's. After I got sick of driving I went overseas for a few years. When I came back I met an amazing women and got married. Had heaps of kids and spoiled them. I had a great life on my beach-front property, grew old and died a happy man.

Scenario 2
I woke up for another typical university day. I walked to the bus stop and out of no where a car swerved infront of me and hit me straight on. I died that day.

[1] Stephen Whittington & David Harris, "Music Technology Forum: Semester 1 - Week 11 – Philosophy of Technology". Lecture presented at the Electronic Music Unit, University of Adelaide, South Australia, 29th May 2008



-----------------------------------------------------------------
word count reached - read if you're interested
-----------------------------------------------------------------


What's my point? The world has so many problems, and of course there are steps you can take to try and make a difference. But at the end of the day everyone deserves to be happy and live their life the way they want to. There is no way an individual can make a notable difference in the world of problems that I consider important. These being war, poverty, sickness and human ignorance. Yes the environment is important too, but I place higher importance on people.

As individuals we never know what's coming. I think the world would be a better place if everyone just tried to be the best they can be and be useful members of society.

That is why I believe that I'm entitled to whatever I can accomplish. I work hard and I consider myself a good person. I don't think it's selfish to have high standards and expectations of what I want to achieve in life. I know there a millions of people less fortunate than me. But honestly what can I do about that? All I can do it be grateful for what I have, and I am. I know its terrible what is happening in other parts of the world and if there was a way I could help I would. I used to give money to World Vision until I went broke and couldn't afford it anymore. I probably donated around $400 overall. It made no difference.

You never know what's coming. All you can do is live life to the fullest and be happy with what you have.

8 comments:

Freddie said...

Are you serious??? I've agreed with a lot of your blogs up until now. Wow. What can I say. I know you don't particularly care what others think (unless it is about your music)...but...wow. And you're not selfish? O...k...

DJ Reverie said...

haha thx mate. I must've been filled with wisdom that day when I wrote this blog lol....and its not so much that I don't care what ppl think...its more that Im the type of person that just says it as it is...Im not afraid to speak my mind even if other ppl think im wrong...

Freddie said...

Oh well, each to their own. It's good to hear someone else also speaks their opinions openly.

David J Dowling said...

Is there anything more presumptuous than one who constantly believes they "say it as it is"?

DJ Reverie said...

what does presumptuous mean?

David J Dowling said...

How presumptuous of me to presume your awareness. It's really just me taking colloquial expressions too literally at the end of the day. Phrases such as "I say it as it is" should be expressed (in my opinion) as "I say it how I think it is". After all, just because one says something is a certain way it does not make it so...

Enough wankademia, it's holiday season.

Freddie said...

Phrases such as "I say it as it is" should be expressed (in my opinion) as "I say it how I think it is".

Saying it how I think it is, you should just be done with it and ask Steven straight out for Honours, in my opinion of course. ;)

DJ Reverie said...

LA LA LA