Saturday, September 02, 2006

Week 2 Forum

Today we were introduced to our Forum assessment for this semester. We have to do an improvisation session in front of the class. We were split up into groups and in my group was Dragos, Ben, Albert, Jake and David. [1] Stephen Whittington spoke to us about improvisation for about 30 minutes, which didn’t give my group much time to really do much. We went into Studio 5 and tried to get some sounds but ran out of time.

Today we had presentation by two students, Luke Digance and John Delany. [2] Luke’s presented his Creative Computing assignment. This was a musique concrete piece and I remember being in the Audio Lab at 4am when we were both finishing off our assignments. I thought his idea behind he assignment was original and very well thought out. Before he played the piece I thought it was going to sound like just a bunch of sounds. However, after he played the piece I could hear the different pitches in his tones and I was actually quite impressed as to the end result. I think it was a really interesting sounding piece and I could definitely hear the fundamental frequencies that Luke was aiming for. Great job.

[3] John Delany played his Creative Computing assignment (this was also a musique concrete piece). John recorded Ben Probert’s voice for this assignment. I happened to be in Studio 2 during one of the recordings and it was really cool pitch shifting the voice to create different sounds. I thought John’s piece sounded very good. The vocal changes, I thought, created a kind of eerie sound. I could also hear some resonance throughout the piece, which went really well.

John finished up with a guitar jam he did with David Downing. I thought this sounded awesome. I didn’t realise that John and David were that good at guitar!


[1] Stephen Whittington. 'Improvisation Forum Presentation - EMU Space'. Lecture presented in the EMU Space, Electronic Music Unit, University of Adelaide, 3rd August 2006.

[2] Luke Digance. 'Music Technology Forum Presentation - EMU Space'. Lecture presented in the EMU Space, Electronic Music Unit, University of Adelaide, 3rd August 2006.

[3] John Delany. 'Music Technology Forum Presentation - EMU Space'. Lecture presented in the EMU Space, Electronic Music Unit, University of Adelaide, 3rd August 2006.

No comments: