Thursday, March 22, 2007

AA2 Week 4 - Percussion

Our task this week for Audio Arts was to record some percussion. I worked with Ben and John to record a drum kit. I was the drummer and was able to showcase my dodgy but enthusiastic performance.

We used the same microphone selection as in our class and generally had the same setup in terms of mic placement.

I have two recordings of the drums. In my Pro Tools session I used some plugin to create a better mix. I'm not sure how Ben and John mixed their drums, but I felt the Kick (no surprise) and the Hats (to a lesser extent) needed some work.

I originally placed a Gate on the Kick because there was the ringing of the snare coming through. Because of problems in the mix, I quickly took the Gate off. I put an EQ on the Kick and boosted around 2kHz to try and create some higher frequencies that were lost due to the lack of the beta sound.

I placed a reverb on the Hats to try and make them sound less choppy. This might just be a bad habit of mine, but I always tend to put slight reverb on hi-hats. I also sometimes put slight steroe delay, but no this time.

I have Compression and a Limiter on the Master Fader just to prevend clipping and to increase the volume. [1]


Drums Take 1

Drums Take 2

**Files are small**









Ben was loving my drumming.







[1] David Grice. 'Audio Arts Lecture - EMU Space'. Lecture presented in the EMU Space, Electronic Music Unit, University of Adelaide, 20th March 2007.

No comments: