Monday, March 19, 2007

Week 3 Forum - David Harris' Piece

Our forum session today was a class performance of one of David Harris' pieces. I originally wanted to play drums but Vinny beat me to it. Therefore I was on the piano with Dragos.

The way this piece was set out was not like traditional music notation. It had a score but instead of following a time signature with a tempo, we had to follow actual time as in minutes. So we would play whatever notes were on the score between say 5-10 minutes. This kind of music doesn't surprise me from David Harris, as I have been involved with his music since I have been studying here and so now I guess I'm used to it.

To me the piece was okay but nothing great. I didn't mind performing it because I like playing piano but I thought it went for way too long. I know the first years were bored but I guess I'm used to forum now that I'm a second year.

I was right in front of Adrian so I could hear the worlds that he was speaking. Some of them were funny and so I had some entertainment throughout the whole 45 minutes. Next time David, make it 10 minutes. [1]


[1] David Harris. 'Music Technology Forum Performance - EMU Space'. Lecture presented in the EMU Space, Electronic Music Unit, University of Adelaide, 15th March 2007.

No comments: