Monday, March 19, 2007

AA2 Week 2 - Voice Recording

This week we went through vocal recording. Personally, I think the most important aspect of vocal recording is to pick the best microphone. Everyone has a different
timbre in their voice and so it is important to try different microphones.

Luckily the vocalist I work with, when producing my own music, uses her own mic so I don't have to do anything!

The microphones I used were the Shure SM-58, and the Neumann U87. I have recorded myself reading a paragraph both in a monotone voice and then ridiculously fast. I was going for the "Mr Bankrupt" annoying ads. I also utilised my skills from choir last year and did some singing.

I thought it was interesting how David talked about TV and radio commercials to illustrate the use of compression. In my recordings I have overused compression but this was just to see how it sounds. If I was doing a proper paid job obviously I would make it sound more professional. [1]


[2]


Normal Speaking - using a SM-58

Reeally Fast/Loud Speaking - using a SM-58

"Singing" - using a Neumann U87


**All files are small**


[1] David Grice. 'Audio Arts Lecture - EMU Space'. Lecture presented in the EMU Space, Electronic Music Unit, University of Adelaide, 6th March 2007.

[2] Taken at EMU Space University of Adelaide - 9th March 2007

No comments: