Sunday, May 27, 2007

Week 11 Forum - “To build or to destroy?” – Construction and Deconstruction in Music Part 2

Today our presenters were Simon Whitelock, Nathan Shea and John Delany. It seems that the only person who actually spoke about the topic was John. Simon talked about DJs and their jacking of music. The term was discussed with hilarity during the forum. I feel like I should have taken the opportunity to talk about DJs during my presentation last week. I've been a club DJ for about three years now so I have experienced the "destruction" of classics. Simon played a song, which used a sample from song Around The World by electronic group Daft Punk. I picked this the use of this sample in about a second.

Nathan Shea talked about Black Metal and music of that style. I don't know anything about Black Metal and I have no interest. It sounds worse than musique concrete. He also played some drum & bass, which was refreshing.

John talked about Lustmord an ambient electronic composer. I thought his insights on dark ambient music were very well put and his music examples were interesting.[1]


[1] Simon Whitelock, Nathan Shea,John Delany. 'Music Technology Forum Presentation - EMU Space'. Lecture presented in the EMU Space, Electronic Music Unit, University Of Adelaide, 24th May 2007

No comments: