Saturday, March 22, 2008

AA3 Week 3 - Recording "Outside the Square"

This week I teamed up with Luke to do our recording. It was much easier this week to work as a team. Last week the process took a lot longer. Luke's idea was to record a Harp which I found interesting. I had never recorded this instrument before. During our Audio Arts class I observed the Koto from different angles to work out where the actual sound was coming from. I took the same approach with the Harp. At the back of the Harp there were two sound holes. I thought the best approach would be to use those holes to capture the body of the sound and then the place a microphone near the strings to capture the higher frequencies and the sound of plucking the strings.

After recording a classical guitarist last year, I learnt that a classical guitarist does not want the sound of the string being plucked in the recording. When asking my Harpist whether she wanted plucking in the recording she didn't know. I found that a bit strange. Luke ended up playing the Harp anyway. I was impressed with how good he was. I had a go and found the fingering challenging but all the notes sounded right!



mics all over!


AUDIO
U89 Stereo Spread [144KB]
U89 Stereo Spread + U87 Room Mic [224KB]
U89 Stereo Spread + U87 Room Mic + Rodes NT5 Strings Mic [200KB]
U89 Stereo Spread + Rodes NT5 Mic In the Sound Hole [188KB]



[1] David Grice. "Audio Arts: Semester 1 - Week 3 - Recording Outside The Square". Lecture presented at the Electronic Music Unit, University of Adelaide, South Australia, 18th March 2008

No comments: