Tuesday, September 09, 2008

AA3 Week 7 - Randy Thom

I appreciated Randy Thoms approach to sound design. It is important to plan the sound and music with the actual visual aspects of the film and not just leave it till the end. In my experience (which isn’t a lot) of working with visual media I have always been presented with the finished movie and asked to write music for it. I had no control over the planning an production of the work. Unfortunately this is always due the either budget or attitude of the producers.

I had a look at the movies that Randy Thom did the sound design for. I have only seem a small number of his many films:

Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within
What Lies Beneath
Snow Falling on Cedars
Jumanji
Miracle on 34th Street
Forrest Gump
[1]

All these films posses very good sound design. I particually enjoyed the film What Lies Beneath. This was actually one of the films that interested me in film sound to begin with.


[3]



[1] imdb, 'Randy Thom'. www.imdb.com/name/nm0858378/ (Accessed 11/9/8)

[2] Luke Harrald. "Audio Arts: Semester 2 - Week 7 - Randy Thom". Lecture presented at EMU, University of Adelaide, South Australia, 9th September 2008

[3] Skywalker Sound, 'Randy Thom'. www.skysound.com (Accessed 11/9/8)

No comments: