Monday, May 26, 2008

Week 7 Forum - Tristram Carey

[2]

Before today I didn't know much about Tristram Carey. I feel quite lucky that one of the most successful electronic musicians of all time has had a big part at this university. Stephen's presentation on his life was quite interesting and I appreciate the work he did.

The VCS was a great invention by Carey and even after so many years it still has a distinctive analogue sound. I could see myself implementing that synth in the music I make now. When Stephen told us the story of how Carey used post World War II devices to make his instruments, I found that very interesting.

Where are the innovative musicians of today? I guess the next step is to build an instrument out of nuclear weapons or instruments of mass destruction . . .


[1] Stephen Whittington, "Music Technology Forum: Semester 1 - Week 7 – Tristram Carey". Lecture presented at the Electronic Music Unit, University of Adelaide, South Australia, 1st May 2008

[2] Electronic Music Uni, University of Adelaide. www.emu.adelaide.edu.au (Accessed 2/5/8)

No comments: