Thursday, August 07, 2008

Week 2 Forum - My Favourite Things I

[2]

Raindrops on roses and whiskers on kittens. . . .



Todays class on Music Technology Forum didn't really include "music technology". Well, we did use a CD player. Two hours of this class were spent on listening to music. When listening to David's piece, my first feelings were sympathy for the performers. I've never seen a piece with so many changing time signatures. I would find it near impossible to play, but I guess that's because I'm not a composition student. The varying tones and dynamic range of the piece sounded good but there wasn't any kind of timing structure. I think David was actually going for this idea.

The Schubert piece we listened to was okay. I prefer Beethoven when it comes to classical music. Schubert's music tends to be a lot more repetitive. David mentioned that this piece reminded him of minimal music. I can definately see why. Minimal music can be very effective but I prefer Philip Glass or minimal electronic music.

I don't think this class was very productive. We hardly did anything. The break was good.


[1] David Harris, "Music Technology Forum: Semester 2 - Week 2 – My Favourite Things". Lecture presented at the Electronic Music Unit, Schulz 1109, University of Adelaide, South Australia, 7th August 2008

[2] Redfin, 'A Few of My Favorite Things (Sort Of): 2 Kinds of Gas, BART and Being a Homeowner'. http://sfbay.redfin.com/blog/category/sweet_digs_classic/ (Accessed 7th August 2008)

No comments: